Fantalk Forum Index Fantalk
The Unofficial Forum For Raith Rovers Fans
PLEASE DO NOT SWEAR
SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURES 21/22
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave Mcgurn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantalk Forum Index -> In The Past & Former Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
embow
Moderator


Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 11639
Location: Lybster: O'er 'e Ord and far fae Fife

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up there as one of the best, regarding goalkeepers, and we've had quite a few decent ones over the years.

A lovely guy to speak to as well.
Thanks for all your work with the Rovers both on and off the park.
Very best wishes for the future wherever that takes you.
_________________
Talk on! Talk on!
You'll never talk alone.
🤗🤗
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WillieKirk



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 1602
Location: Portobello

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Embow a true legend and a true Rover. Good luck for the future

Although maybe a little over enthusiastic last week Very Happy
_________________
Here Wee go again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Specky Ginger



Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 3829
Location: Dysart

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the very best to him.

I was still at primary school when Murray McDermott left the Rovers, so I can only remember him being a great goalkeeper, but can't remember too many saves or points he won us quite so vividly.
Therefore, I'll go as far as to say McGurn was the best Rovers goalkeeper I've seen in my 40 plus years of watching the Rovers.
Won us a massive amount of points we might not have deserved on the balance of play, none more so than the game at East End when he pulled off the wonder save from Graham Bayne and fifteen seconds later the ball was in the Pars net.

Rovers legend and sincerely hope he stays in close contact with the club and is a regular visitor to Stark's Park in the future.
_________________
Dougie Hill
Sar-chluicheadair a'gheama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stan drew rover



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 707
Location: Work it out!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specky Ginger wrote:
All the very best to him.

I was still at primary school when Murray McDermott left the Rovers, so I can only remember him being a great goalkeeper, but can't remember too many saves or points he won us quite so vividly.
Therefore, I'll go as far as to say McGurn was the best Rovers goalkeeper I've seen in my 40 plus years of watching the Rovers.
Won us a massive amount of points we might not have deserved on the balance of play, none more so than the game at East End when he pulled off the wonder save from Graham Bayne and fifteen seconds later the ball was in the Pars net.

Rovers legend and sincerely hope he stays in close contact with the club and is a regular visitor to Stark's Park in the future.


Hard to believe, SG, but that makes me almost a decade older than you. Murray McD was a serial hero of mine through his peak time in my teenage years. He made some miraculous saves, none better than one at Celtic Park in the Scottish Cup, televised with Archie McFarchie commentating. A Celtic shot (one of many) came whistling in, to the comment 'I don't know how that one didn't go in'. The answer, yelled at the TV, 'because Murray got a fingertip to it!', a miraculous save. But Rovers lost 1-2, as we lost quite a lot at the time.

And, partly for that reason, Dave McGurn tops Murray McD for me - the witch's saves mattered more at more crucial times in more crucial games.

Also to add, Dave McGurn gets the title of Wolrd Champion sleekit time-waster when your team is winning. The way he could be seen to run across the 6-yard box more slowly than most people could stroll it was masterful!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scotty



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 8723
Location: Almost Dysart.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan drew rover wrote:
Specky Ginger wrote:
All the very best to him.

I was still at primary school when Murray McDermott left the Rovers, so I can only remember him being a great goalkeeper, but can't remember too many saves or points he won us quite so vividly.
Therefore, I'll go as far as to say McGurn was the best Rovers goalkeeper I've seen in my 40 plus years of watching the Rovers.
Won us a massive amount of points we might not have deserved on the balance of play, none more so than the game at East End when he pulled off the wonder save from Graham Bayne and fifteen seconds later the ball was in the Pars net.

Rovers legend and sincerely hope he stays in close contact with the club and is a regular visitor to Stark's Park in the future.


Hard to believe, SG, but that makes me almost a decade older than you. Murray McD was a serial hero of mine through his peak time in my teenage years. He made some miraculous saves, none better than one at Celtic Park in the Scottish Cup, televised with Archie McFarchie commentating. A Celtic shot (one of many) came whistling in, to the comment 'I don't know how that one didn't go in'. The answer, yelled at the TV, 'because Murray got a fingertip to it!', a miraculous save. But Rovers lost 1-2, as we lost quite a lot at the time.

And, partly for that reason, Dave McGurn tops Murray McD for me - the witch's saves mattered more at more crucial times in more crucial games.

Also to add, Dave McGurn gets the title of Wolrd Champion sleekit time-waster when your team is winning. The way he could be seen to run across the 6-yard box more slowly than most people could stroll it was masterful!!

Better still as he only had one contact lens in, Ian Balantyne got ours IIRC
_________________
Competitive goals: Poplatnik 11, Zanatta 10, Connolly 10, Ross 7, Vaughan 4, Matthew 3, Spencer 3, Varian 3, Benedictus 2, Tait 2, Tumilty 2, Arnott 1, Dick 1, Gullan 1, Snow 1, Stanton 1, OG 1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wellyboot



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 1942
Location: Aberdeenshire

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly up there as one of the best in my time watching the Rovers (same length of time as SG). Scott Thompson marginally beats him due to the success we had during his spell and his call up to the national squad as a third choice keeper. However, the cat was magnificent and hopefully he is a success with his next venture
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tam
Moderator


Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 6302
Location: Kettlebridge

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen all the goalkeepers in my 55 years following the Rovers.

Murray McDermott as brilliant but for me Davy McGurn was even better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolfman Jack



Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 9758
Location: Pawtucket Brewery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signs for Cowdenbeath.
_________________
Hope he's got plenty Rovers action to comment on tonight....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crazy Englishman



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 6338
Location: sunny varna on the black sea coast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman Jack wrote:
Signs for Cowdenbeath.


youre joking arent you
_________________
now enjoying my fishing time, at peace with nature. but being a avid radio ham my global contacts have increased. any hams around call me lz2csk on 14200 or their aboyuts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TxRover



Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 2102
Location: North Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Englishman wrote:
Wolfman Jack wrote:
Signs for Cowdenbeath.


youre joking arent you


On the bench as their sub keeper, he’s not kidding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
badpress139



Joined: 19 May 2015
Posts: 2141
Location: Glenrothes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TxRover wrote:
Crazy Englishman wrote:
Wolfman Jack wrote:
Signs for Cowdenbeath.


youre joking arent you


On the bench as their sub keeper, he’s not kidding.


Player coach role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ladyluck



Joined: 25 Oct 2020
Posts: 163
Location: kirkcaldy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Davie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolfman Jack



Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 9758
Location: Pawtucket Brewery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Falkirk Football Club can confirm the signing of goalkeeper David McGurn on a seven-day emergency loan from Cowdenbeath.

David joins the club ahead of tomorrow’s Scottish Cup tie with Raith Rovers, with Falkirk goalkeepers Robbie Mutch and Luke Holt recovering from injury and cup-tied respectively.

We would like to thank Cowdenbeath FC for their co-operation in making this move possible


https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2021/11/26/david-mcgurn-signs-on-emergency-loan/
_________________
Hope he's got plenty Rovers action to comment on tonight....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
embow
Moderator


Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 11639
Location: Lybster: O'er 'e Ord and far fae Fife

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope he keeps his bum on the bench for the duration.
Not wanting 'Super Super Davie McGurn'🎶🎶 keeping us at bay!😌
_________________
Talk on! Talk on!
You'll never talk alone.
🤗🤗
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StarksBarmy



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 3568

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent McGurn will chuck a couple in if needed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantalk Forum Index -> In The Past & Former Players All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com