Fantalk Forum Index Fantalk
The Unofficial Forum For Raith Rovers Fans
PLEASE DO NOT SWEAR
SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURES 21/22
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clyde relocation.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantalk Forum Index -> Football in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wolfman Jack



Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 9761
Location: Pawtucket Brewery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Clyde relocation. Reply with quote

Club Statement
Thu, 21st Apr 2022 9:45pm
Clyde Football Club will, imminently, be issuing a notice to North Lanarkshire Council terminating its lease at Broadwood. Consequently, the upcoming fixture against Airdrieonians, on the 23rd April, will be our last match at the stadium.

It is widely known that the club had begun developing a proposal to relocate to a stadium of its own. Although we had fully expected to continue the process at a pace of our own choosing, North Lanarkshire Council has now confirmed that it will not consider extending the club’s lease at Broadwood on a permanent basis beyond the end of season 2022/23, when the current arrangement was due for renewal.

Given the need to meet the club’s immediate operating requirements, the board has arranged with Hamilton Academical to play our home matches at New Douglas Park while we accelerate the process to secure a site and new stadium back in Glasgow. All of the club’s activities delivered through the Clyde Foundation will be unaffected. The Board is immensely grateful to Hamilton Academical for their co-operation and the efficiency with which this deal is being finalised.

For the older generations of the Clyde support this is a scenario which is familiar, having had to leave Shawfield behind in 1986, and following the club through the ground-sharing days of the late eighties and early nineties. The loyalty of our supporters was unstinting during the uncertainty of these years, and the resolve that saw us through those times will now be called upon again – both from them and from the newer generations of Clyde supporters who have made this club their own during our time in North Lanarkshire.

This is a historic moment in the unfolding story of Clyde Football Club and not one without an element of regret. Over 28 seasons, we have experienced many highs and lows at Broadwood. Many new fans had their first Clyde experience here and, sadly, many also had their last. All of us will set off from the ground with treasured memories, but also with the assurance that the final destination will be a home which we can truly call our own.

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2022/04/21/7104/#.YmHEXIXMLIW
_________________
Hope he's got plenty Rovers action to comment on tonight....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stan drew rover



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 710
Location: Work it out!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is proper PR, from a club that has been forced to make a premature move away from its most recent home by an unthinking, bandwagon jumping landlord - ie, North Lanarkshire Council.

The club's board has matter-of-factly, yet sensitively, explained its next steps. But the unwritten subtext is also clear: we won't stay a minute longer than we need to where the stadium owner restricts our ability to trade.

Whether this means that David Goodwillie plies his trade in Hamilton, playing with Clyde again after all, will remain to be seen. But meantime, well done Clyde on standing up to their bully-boy landlord
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StarksBarmy



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 3571

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m just feeling old that it’s been 28 years since they moved to Broadwood.

The move never really payed off, lost a load of fans by moving and (unsurprisingly) failed to really tap in to old firm hotbed that is Cumbernauld. Now, they face the same scenario again of losing many of the fans they HAVE nurtured the last twenty or so years…
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vinnie



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 7626
Location: None Of Your Business

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan drew rover wrote:
Now there is proper PR, from a club that has been forced to make a premature move away from its most recent home by an unthinking, bandwagon jumping landlord - ie, North Lanarkshire Council.

The club's board has matter-of-factly, yet sensitively, explained its next steps. But the unwritten subtext is also clear: we won't stay a minute longer than we need to where the stadium owner restricts our ability to trade.

Whether this means that David Goodwillie plies his trade in Hamilton, playing with Clyde again after all, will remain to be seen. But meantime, well done Clyde on standing up to their bully-boy landlord


This

Pretty sure the landlord could have terminated the lease earlier eg some 4 or 5 years ago
_________________
THERES FIVE OF ME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolfman Jack



Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 9761
Location: Pawtucket Brewery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnie wrote:
stan drew rover wrote:
Now there is proper PR, from a club that has been forced to make a premature move away from its most recent home by an unthinking, bandwagon jumping landlord - ie, North Lanarkshire Council.

The club's board has matter-of-factly, yet sensitively, explained its next steps. But the unwritten subtext is also clear: we won't stay a minute longer than we need to where the stadium owner restricts our ability to trade.

Whether this means that David Goodwillie plies his trade in Hamilton, playing with Clyde again after all, will remain to be seen. But meantime, well done Clyde on standing up to their bully-boy landlord


This

Pretty sure the landlord could have terminated the lease earlier eg some 4 or 5 years ago


Until recently the ground was under the control of an arms length Leisure Trust, it only came back under control of North Lanarkshire Council after the trust was ended.
It would seem that NLC has different values to the previous incumbent.
_________________
Hope he's got plenty Rovers action to comment on tonight....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stan drew rover



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 710
Location: Work it out!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman Jack wrote:
Vinnie wrote:
stan drew rover wrote:
Now there is proper PR, from a club that has been forced to make a premature move away from its most recent home by an unthinking, bandwagon jumping landlord - ie, North Lanarkshire Council.

The club's board has matter-of-factly, yet sensitively, explained its next steps. But the unwritten subtext is also clear: we won't stay a minute longer than we need to where the stadium owner restricts our ability to trade.

Whether this means that David Goodwillie plies his trade in Hamilton, playing with Clyde again after all, will remain to be seen. But meantime, well done Clyde on standing up to their bully-boy landlord


This

Pretty sure the landlord could have terminated the lease earlier eg some 4 or 5 years ago


Until recently the ground was under the control of an arms length Leisure Trust, it only came back under control of North Lanarkshire Council after the trust was ended.
It would seem that NLC has different values to the previous incumbent.


On the surface, WJ is quite correct. But the common ground between North Lanarkshire Council and their Leisure Trust leads me to believe this was all just a convenient smokescreen, and the supposed change of hands from one to the other (but the same actual PEOPLE in charge) just a flimsy excuse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vinnie



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 7626
Location: None Of Your Business

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts as well stan
_________________
THERES FIVE OF ME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
red zebra



Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 2294
Location: Whaur the bridies are

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan drew rover wrote:

Whether this means that David Goodwillie plies his trade in Hamilton, playing with Clyde again after all, will remain to be seen. But meantime, well done Clyde on standing up to their bully-boy landlord


Perhaps the end of the DG saga for us, just a shame some Raith minded parties didn't have the cojones to do the same to the naysayers.
_________________
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KirkcaldyRover



Joined: 16 Apr 2014
Posts: 159
Location: Kirkcaldy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman Jack wrote:
Until recently the ground was under the control of an arms length Leisure Trust, it only came back under control of North Lanarkshire Council after the trust was ended.
It would seem that NLC has different values to the previous incumbent.


Many councils, including Fife operate this way. Ultimately the council are still the owners of the real estate and they just use a third party non-profit to run the services. Take Fife for example, we have OnFife who operate theatre venues but Fife council still own Adam Smith theatre and Lochgelly Centre.Similarly with the Fife Golf Trust that operate the council owned golf courses, and Fife sport and leisure trust that operate the council owned fitness centres in Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantalk Forum Index -> Football in General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com