Fantalk Forum Index Fantalk

VISIT RAITHROVERS.NET

S.P.F.L CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURES 22/23
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dundee v Rovers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantalk Forum Index -> Matchtalk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
embow
Moderator


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 12079
Location: Lybster: O'er 'e Ord and far frae Fife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me back in Edinburgh having been at the game.
Can't deny that the better team won on its second half performance.
I can see why we aren't getting much away from home. Too many players with an off day, misplaced passes, too much trying to keep possession which was just inviting Dundee to high press on to us. We were the better team for the first twenty minutes or so then Dundee changed things a wee bit which left McMullan running the show to a fair degree along with Robinson when he came on to a game.
Had we scored first with the early pressure and chances then it may have turned out different.
I'd have been wanting a penalty if it had been at the other end. No problems with the decision. It was unfortunate but that's the way of the modern game.
We then left ourselves open at the back and Jamie was unlucky that the rebound fell to a Dundee player who was first to react.
However there is a decent team in there and they cannot be faulted for effort. Just one or two too many off the boil today.
The young lad at centre half is absolute quality. For an 18/19 year old to hold his own at this level is excellent. He's going places in the game but alas, away from Starks Park on what I saw today.
Onwards and upwards next week at home to get back on the rails.
_________________
Talk on! Talk on!
You'll never talk alone.
🤗🤗


Last edited by embow on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Armagh Rover



Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 5490
Location: Nottinghamshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good honest report Embow, onwards and upwards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vinnie



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 7890
Location: None Of Your Business

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We,ve only beaten two teams away from home and they are bottom and second bottom of the league and only taken 1 point from the others
_________________
THERES FIVE OF ME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
embow
Moderator


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 12079
Location: Lybster: O'er 'e Ord and far frae Fife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnie wrote:
We,ve only beaten two teams away from home and they are bottom and second bottom of the league and only taken 1 point from the others

I would suggest that it's the way we seem to be set up not to be too attack minded and when a chance does come along we fail to convert. You have to be ruthless with a smash and grab when the chance arises.
If today is anything to go by we don't shift the ball upfield quick enough allowing the opponents to get back behind the ball.
Too much passing possession (admittedly it can be lovely to watch) but it's often sideways and back and just not direct enough into the heart of the opponent's defence.
_________________
Talk on! Talk on!
You'll never talk alone.
🤗🤗
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stan drew rover



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 752
Location: Work it out!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Embow states, we had to many players having an off-day today, and on top of that, every break of the ball seemed to run Dundee's way - not least the penalty. On the day, we were beaten by the better team, but I'm sure we'll bounce back.

One other point to watch though - we did get bullied off 5hings a bit today. For me, a starting slot needs to be found pronto for Ross Matthews. And, of course, if only we had a mobile strong presence up front....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vinnie



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 7890
Location: None Of Your Business

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

embow wrote:
Vinnie wrote:
We,ve only beaten two teams away from home and they are bottom and second bottom of the league and only taken 1 point from the others

I would suggest that it's the way we seem to be set up not to be too attack minded and when a chance does come along we fail to convert. You have to be ruthless with a smash and grab when the chance arises.
If today is anything to go by we don't shift the ball upfield quick enough allowing the opponents to get back behind the ball.
Too much passing possession (admittedly it can be lovely to watch) but it's often sideways and back and just not direct enough into the heart of the opponent's defence.


Solution is change it as its not working Wink

Regards finding a starting place for Matthews(I agree),he cant even make the bench today

Injured?
_________________
THERES FIVE OF ME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northern_Rover



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 2651
Location: Granite City

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the striking problem is addressed / resolved I dont think we can improve from where we are at present. We cannot rely on our goals coming from midfield.

Today Dundee were always going to see alot of the ball at home. We had to be clinical with the half chances created in front of goal. In that regard we lacked any punch or composure when opportunities arose.

Alot of what has worked for us in recent weeks just didn't happen today. Stanton and Brown in particular were off it.

It appears that Fredriksen is not the answer I just cant so far see a footballer there so other than Vaughan hitting a rich vein of form I dont see where the goals are coming from if the midfield are not firing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StarksBarmy



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 3750

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long in myself, bit of a damp squib after the promise of late.

Dundee deserved to win but, for want of a better expression, we made it easy for them.

On paper at least, this should be the hardest fixture we play over the season (title favourites/largest budget/largest support) so hopefully itís a blip and we resume winning ways over the coming weeks.

Our away form really isnít good. Is it mental belief? Manager instructions? I donít know but itís 11 v 11 on a football pitch after a couple of hours in a busÖ not 8 hours in a plane in a different time zone, different climate with 50,000 home fans baying for blood which can explain away form in European completion for exampleÖ

Certainly a bit of a tweak needed here or there and go out to boss games like we have done at home latelyÖ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CoachBombay



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 403

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Dundee were better than us on Saturday but I donít think it had to be that way. Thereís guys in the starting 11 that although weíve been winning, theyíve been passengers.

Easton scored a great goal the other week but other than that he keeps the ball too long and loses possession.

Brownís hit and hope football a lot of the time loses us possession.

Connell gets bullied off the ball.

All three are capable of a good game but itís too inconsistent. If you look across the team, itís McGlynns signings that are carrying us. Sorry, but itís true. The sooner Matthews and Vaughan are back in the team the better.
_________________
RIP RONNIE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CALDERON



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 1705
Location: Aberdeenshire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked far, far poorer after Brown went off on Saturday. He had an off day, but everyone did. He's been very good this season.

The away form is brutal. 1 point from 18 gains teams not in the bottom 2 isn't good at all. Nor is the fact that we have lost 8 from 8 in games where we have went behind, scoring a total of 1 goal in the process.

There's a lot to like about the team Murray is building, and he has improved things vs what he came into - but if the 2 points above aren't addressed then its not going to be any more than mid table.

Much of the issue stems from the fact, again, that there doesn't appear to be a competent Championship centre forward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gary Parker
Moderator


Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 1765
Location: About half way between the place I was and the place I intend to be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CALDERON wrote:
We looked far, far poorer after Brown went off on Saturday. He had an off day, but everyone did. He's been very good this season.

The away form is brutal. 1 point from 18 gains teams not in the bottom 2 isn't good at all. Nor is the fact that we have lost 8 from 8 in games where we have went behind, scoring a total of 1 goal in the process.

There's a lot to like about the team Murray is building, and he has improved things vs what he came into - but if the 2 points above aren't addressed then its not going to be any more than mid table.

Much of the issue stems from the fact, again, that there doesn't appear to be a competent Championship centre forward.


Aside from Akinyemi at Ayr, I think every team has this issue. There isn't one of the other teams forwards I look at and go, yeah, he would be a great addition here.

A lot of our play is set up to have those behind the striker be the main goalscoring threats and it works for us at home, but away for some reason its not been anywhere near effective enough. Connolly, Stanton and Easton have all shown what they can do (some more than others) but they're pretty isolated right now as Ross, Gullan, Vaughan etc are injured or returning from long term injury. Our other issue is that because we sit deeper away from home, we have to rely on our players being quick getting forward to support or join in, but none of them are fast, not one of them ever looks like winning a race to the ball with a defender.

I like what Connell has been bringing to the team lately, Partick and Ayr games were good shows of what he does but its not consistent enough, and he needs to start finding the back of the net when he gets opportunity to shoot.

Frederiksen isn't the answer and I don't think ever will be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TxRover



Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 2845
Location: North Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Parker wrote:
CALDERON wrote:
We looked far, far poorer after Brown went off on Saturday. He had an off day, but everyone did. He's been very good this season.

The away form is brutal. 1 point from 18 gains teams not in the bottom 2 isn't good at all. Nor is the fact that we have lost 8 from 8 in games where we have went behind, scoring a total of 1 goal in the process.

There's a lot to like about the team Murray is building, and he has improved things vs what he came into - but if the 2 points above aren't addressed then its not going to be any more than mid table.

Much of the issue stems from the fact, again, that there doesn't appear to be a competent Championship centre forward.


Aside from Akinyemi at Ayr, I think every team has this issue. There isn't one of the other teams forwards I look at and go, yeah, he would be a great addition here.

A lot of our play is set up to have those behind the striker be the main goalscoring threats and it works for us at home, but away for some reason its not been anywhere near effective enough. Connolly, Stanton and Easton have all shown what they can do (some more than others) but they're pretty isolated right now as Ross, Gullan, Vaughan etc are injured or returning from long term injury. Our other issue is that because we sit deeper away from home, we have to rely on our players being quick getting forward to support or join in, but none of them are fast, not one of them ever looks like winning a race to the ball with a defender.

I like what Connell has been bringing to the team lately, Partick and Ayr games were good shows of what he does but its not consistent enough, and he needs to start finding the back of the net when he gets opportunity to shoot.

Frederiksen isn't the answer and I don't think ever will be.


IM isnít stupid, so heís sticking with Connell because he sees something useful, otherwise someone else would have seen a little more time here and there. Heís young, so IM is trying to develop somethingÖso we can expect to see more of Vaughan and Gullan also as they work back into it.

Frederiksen, itís much to early to dismiss him as a one trick clydesdale.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cuparman



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1572
Location: Irvine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Frederiksen.
Surely IM didnít sign a player simply based on his 6í 8Ēframe.
I believe he is not match fit for sure.
I saw him away at either Patrick or Hamilton, or was it Morton, in the flesh and the tactic that day was simply to pump high balls to him throughout.

If thatís not one dimensional, then I donít know what is.
Simply getting your head to the ball is not suffice, it has to end up with another teammate.

I think this is a team which is learning as it plays, at least I hope so. Only time will tell about Frederiksen, he certainly needs game time.

Gotta sort out the away tactics. Thatís IM job. Hopefully he will.

( it was 1 of those 3, as they are the only games weíve got to) Rolling Eyes
_________________
Born a Rover Live a Rover Die a Rover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Neil M



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 2376
Location: Aberdeen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure there's any cause for panic about the away form. Admittedly, the whole team were under-par at Dens, but it is not typical of this side. Balmoral and Gayfield are not easy places to go and other good sides have taken less than a win at those grounds. Inverness is our bogey team and we still took a point up there. We only lost marginally away to Partick and Morton - and we have improved since then. I think we will come good in away games!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heilan Rover



Joined: 24 Dec 2018
Posts: 453
Location: Lorient

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil M wrote:
Not sure there's any cause for panic about the away form. Admittedly, the whole team were under-par at Dens, but it is not typical of this side. Balmoral and Gayfield are not easy places to go and other good sides have taken less than a win at those grounds. Inverness is our bogey team and we still took a point up there. We only lost marginally away to Partick and Morton - and we have improved since then. I think we will come good in away games!

I agree wholeheartedly Neil.

However I just wonder about our prep for this game? I was listening to the live commentary so I can only use that as my reference, but it seemed we were losing our footing and slipping more than was normal. it just left me thinking if we had the correct studs in?

I'm sure IM must have our training on a grass surface prior to these away games, so I will just put it down to the Pink Strip?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantalk Forum Index -> Matchtalk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com